Saturday 25 January 2014

January Knitting Challenge Progress.

Well, I am very pleased to say that I am keeping at it!  Never thought I would get this far actually.  I was so pleased with the fingerless mittens that I knew I had to find something else.

While I was searching easy patterns I knitted a 3rd square using up the mitten yarn and some mint green.  It is actually square even though the photo makes it look wonky!  Not sure if I said before but OH reckons if I knit about 50 of these I would have enough for a  doggie blanket!  Hmm, that is going to take a while!


While I was looking for patterns I came across one for a keyhole scarf very similar to the gorgeous one that I purchased recently from my teamie Jarg0n.  You can see it below with it's matching mitts and headband.


The pattern looked manageable as it is mainly garter stitch and rib like I did on the mittens.  It did mean that I had to learn how to increase and decrease and I can tell you that was a learning curve!!  I Googled it and watched some videos which made it look simple enough....... yeah right!  I found it incredibly difficult to get the needle in the back of the stitch.  I am still not convinced that I was doing it totally right but it has come out OK so who cares!

Work in progress.  I have no idea why the wool looks pink here.  These were taken with my iPad.


The finished article.  This is the actual colour of the wool.  A pale lilac.


My ribby bit for the key hole is a bit loose. Not sure why that is.  Not sure that the wool was totally correct either but I am still working with scrap balls that were given to me.


Anyway, I am secretly dead chuffed with myself.  Never imagined I could make something like this.


I am now looking for my next challenge.  I would like to knit the mitts again for OH but they need to be much bigger and I don't know how to make them bigger.  Well, I know I would need more stitches and to knit more rows, I'm not totally thick!  I just need someone to tell me exactly how many stitches and rows!!

I do want a new project though and am looking online for easy, free patterns.  I am thinking of a cowl or maybe a baby jacket for Saskia's baby.  Thank you to everyone who has sent me links to good pattern sites and wool shops.

Until I decide what to do next I shall knit some more squares.  Only another 47 needed for a doggie blanket!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you, taking on the challenge and making it look so easy!! Your scarf look perfect, Jilly. Really. You are so talented and creative. Can't wait to see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete